Wednesday, April 29, 2009

just in case

i left the light on, over the porch
that it might lead you, up to my door
and as for your suitcase
well, I made some space
just in case, just in case

well, I left the door open
and I lifted the latch
and I cracked the window
and I let out a sash
and I combed through my hair
and I dressed up in lace
just in case, just in case

you've been gone a long time,
and I've got me a long line
of reasons that you may not return
but I'm just guessing
that those are lessons
that I haven't learned
i haven't learned, because...

i tidied the kitchen
and I put up the wreath
and I took our old record
from its old sleeve
and I fashioned the flowers
into a vase
just in case, just in case

and I moved your picture
to the front of the shelf
and I perfumed my pillow
for you to smell
i left a little lipstick
on my face
just in case, just in case

you've been gone a long time
i've got a long line
of reasons you may never ever ever ever return
but I'm just guessing
that those are the lessons
that I haven't learned,
i haven't learned because...

i left an amber behind the hearth
so that you'd remember
just where you are
and now I'm rolling over
to leave you a place
just in case, just in case
i'm rolling over to leave you a place
just in case just in case


No comments: